Marco Rubio has been called the Everglades’ “most vigorous champion in the Senate” due to his commitment to restoration efforts.
Accomplishments for the Everglades:
- Wrote the South Florida Clean Coastal Waters Act to strengthen Florida’s water resources infrastructure, which was signed into law earlier this year.
- Created the SLITHER Act to eliminate invasive species and animals in the Everglades.
- Fought for the South Florida Ecosystem Enhancement Act to support ecosystem restoration and monitoring efforts.
- Persuaded Senate colleagues to support the Central Everglades Planning Project to reduce Lake Okeechobee discharges to coastal communities and improve water supply to the Everglades.
Praise for Rubio’s work on the Everglades:
- The New York Times: Rubio “has become the national park’s most vigorous champion in the Senate.”
- The American Conservation Coalition: “Senator Rubio has spearheaded a number of actions that have helped to limit the impacts of the state’s algal bloom epidemic. Throughout his entire tenure in the U.S. Senate, Rubio has been a fierce advocate for Everglades restoration and investment in water infrastructure projects. [He] is leading the fight to reduce the impacts of algal blooms on Florida’s citizens, wildlife, and economy.”
- Oklahoma Senator Jim Inhofe, then-chairman of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee: “My opposition to this important project has since changed, largely in part to my friend and colleague Sen. Marco Rubio.”
- Named Audubon Florida’s 2019 Champion of the Everglades.
“Marco Rubio has spearheaded Everglades restoration efforts throughout his time in the Senate. It’s because of him that after decades of delay at the federal level, there is finally real progress – and historic levels of funding. Marco will continue to be the number one champion for the Everglades in the United States Senate,” said Elizabeth Gregory, communications director for Marco Rubio for Senate.