Strong families are the core of American greatness: Without strong families, America’s strong values will not endure, and the American Dream will disappear. Being raised in a stable home by a mother and a father is an incredible privilege but, unfortunately, one that is increasingly rare.Too often in recent years, through both economic and social policy, Washington has tried to compete with families rather than support and defend them. It has left American families weaker than they once were, and the institutions that teach values and support families, such as churches and civil society groups, are ailing, too.
Reform the Tax Code to Treat Parents Fairly by:
- Creating a new $2,500 per child tax credit, to allow working parents to keep more of their money and fix the parent tax penalty.
- Ending the marriage tax penalty without penalizing homemakers
- Encouraging paid leave for new parents, caretakers of ailing loved ones, seriously ill employees, and military families, without harmful mandates, taxes, or costly new entitlements
Promote a Marriage Culture by:
- Defending traditional American values and the value of marriage
- Allowing states to use anti-poverty dollars on programs that recognize marriage’s crucial role in lifting families out of poverty